Saturday, March 25, 2017

Camp Tuckabatchee Quilt Show

This is the third time I've gotten to attend the Camp Tuckabatchee Quilt Show in Ottawa, IL.  They hold it every 2 years, but, for many years, I was shuttling boys around during Spring Break, and had to miss this show.

This is one of my favorite quilt shows, not just for the quilts, but, for the Treadle Races and the great fabric and notions sale they have every year.  Two years ago, they didn't have the Treadle Races, since the lady who does them, had to miss, last minute, with both of her parents in the hospital at the same time.  Four years ago, I won the Treadle Races.

The show started off great, as hubby won a door prize as we entered.
hubby's door prize, that he gave to me


Next stop is the fabric and notions area.  As I was looking on the tables, hubby looked under the table and found me a sewing machine rolling case.  Hubby is a keeper!
rolling sewing machine case hubby found

Well, with all that room in the case, I needed to fill it up.  First, I found some great fabrics.
LOTS of yardage

Then I found some quilt blocks.
13 blocks, 12.5" square


Then I found some great zipper bags.
2 zipper bags


Someone had donated Drunkards Path templates along with a set of Curve Master feet and the special tweezers that went along with the feet.
Drunkards Path templates, Curve Master set


Of course, I had to check out the books, too.  Hubby said I really needed the last book.
Sunbonnet Sue books

Hoochy Mama book


Then I spied a sewing machine cabinet.  Of course, I always have to look, to see what's inside.  The cabinet is a mess, but, this was hiding inside.
1951 Singer 99K #EG381111

Made at the Kilbowie factory in Clydebank, Scotland

For the price, hubby knew it was going home with us!


While hubby loaded my purchases into the car, I headed over to the quilts.  It was a mixture of new and vintage quilts. 















one of the challenge quilts

great border on this one






up close of the deer, their ears stick out, and the tails are made with yarn














I loved the story with this next one.  A lady showed a new quilter some blocks she had embroidered in 1947.  Each block shows the state and it's flower.  There were only 48 states at that time.  The new quilter thought she could turn these into a quilt.  When the longarm quilter finished with the quilting, the new quilter called the lady's son, who said that the lady had just been put in hospice care at her home.  The quilt was quickly delivered, and the lady enjoyed her quilt during the last days of her life.
quilt made from blocks stitched in 1947

block maker with her finished quilt, the last few days of her life


There were some vendors at the quilt show, too.  I only took a few pictures.  I'm sure you'll figure out why when you see them.
red Featherweight

the featherweight was used to piece most of these quilts


Of course, I had to take pictures of the booth with the vintage machines, too.  Marianne (who owns the treadles) was teaching two young ladies how to sew on the treadles.  Most of the rest of the machines belong to Cathy (who was off teaching Make & Take).
young ladies learning how to use treadles

a few of her toys and toy irons

some of her machines

some of Cathy's tiny machines & salt & pepper shakers

  I had to take home some of those tiny machines and salt & pepper shakers.  Here is what I brought home.
3 sets of Salt & Pepper shakers

2 tiny machines (each about 1" long)

While I was paying for these, Marianne called me to come be in the Treadle Races.  She lost 4 years ago, since her thread broke.  She wanted to beat me this time.  We sewed on the same treadles as we sewed on last time.

Getting ready to sew (I need my bifocals to see what I'm doing)


Sewing away!
Marianne 'thinks' she is winning
Done!
Woohoo!  I won again!

This is the lovely New Home treadle I was sewing on, and my finished block.
winning block, and New Home treadle
 I won a prize!
my prize and my block

What a fun day!  Marianne said that she'll beat me next time.  We'll see......

I hope your Saturday was a fun as mine was!

12 comments:

  1. What a great day! I just saw my first scrabble quilt earlier today and then you posted one - I'm thinking this would be great for a graduation quilt. Congrats on your win and all your new things. Are you changing the name of your blog to Hoochy Mama Quilts?! lol ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun show! How does a treadle race work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks like a fun show. How cool hubby tagged along to help. Congratulations on the win. Think your prize looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely variety of quilts at this show! Congrats on your win and you certainly did fill up that rolling cart with some wonderful goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun! I must keep my eyes open for some of those salt and pepper shakers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a show to really enjoy and worth a two-year wait.
    Goodies to take home ... and some inspiration too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the race, and all the finds. It looks like a great show with lots of neat items to explore. Love the quilt story....just priceless. Thanks for all the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous time you had, I can just tell by looking at your pic's! And a wonderful haul you took home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun show! I've not heard of it before, but I'll be watching for it in 2019. The story about the lady who embroidered the blocks is so touching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That all looks like so much fun and you have some wonderful finds. I really like that red featherweight, it would have looked gorgeous next to your purple machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whose Sat could have been as fun as that? You know how to have fun. Love your new toys and fabrics. I think I have some fabrics like yours.
    Thanks for sharing the quilt show with us. Always fun to see what others are making. And I love the story and that the old lady got to see her blocks put together.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hand embroidered those same State flowers in the 70's. There were 50 states then. This was my very first quilt and I made it on Dacron and cotton white fabric. Then I pieces it with red and blue sashing and borders. I had never made a quilt, but had been a garment sewer. Therefore I made 5/8 inch seams! The quilter did a marvelous job and sis not make fun of my efforts. I was making it for my daughter for her High school in 1989. I was just a few years late and got it to her at her Masters graduation o n 2009!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).