Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Misc Stitching

I've been busy stitching, but, on different things. 

I did a bit more work on the Elephant, fusing the tree onto the elephant background, and making the tail.
tree is fused, the gray elephants still need to be hand appliqued

The tail was fun, but, took a long time.  First, I took three strips of the different greens, and braided them.
3 strips, braided
I did this 3 times, then took the 3 braids, and braided them together.  After that was done, I tied on the scraps pieces, from when I trimmed all the fabrics, to make the tail 'hairy' like a real elephants tail.  I like how it curved on it's own.  I didn't make it do that.
tail completed

tail laid on elephant
Then I had to put this project aside for a while.

 I have several purses that need to be mailed out this month.  I started on the first 4 purses (same pattern).  Here are pictures of what I've done so far, so you can see the fabrics.
inside pockets and zipper

front of purse

inside pockets and zipper

front of purse (hard to see the pocket on this one)

inside pockets and zipper

front of purse

inside pockets and zipper

front of purse
The top one is using pre-quilted fabrics, which I haven't done before.  I'm having to figure out the changes as I go.  The colors didn't show up well.  The pink/purple/blue (bottom) is really deep colors, but, the pictures show it washed out.  Oh well.

I still have to finish these 4 purses, then, I have another one, with an older pattern to make, and still another one that uses the screening

My little quilt guild (Wego Quiltin') met on Monday night.  Jinnie had kits ready for everyone, and we made wool needle keepers.  I finished mine yesterday morning.
front of needle keeper

inside of needle keeper
What a cute project!  Thanks Jinnie!  Since we are such a small guild (about 15 members) we teach each other different projects or tricks.  I taught the ribbon bookmarks last month.  One of the members had made about 48 of them, for her bible study group.  She showed them off at guild.

One of the ladies at guild gave me a present.  She cleaned it up before she gave it to me.
attachment box

full of top clamp attachments
Not sure what top clamp machine these will fit, but, fun to have, no matter what.  Thanks Kandy!

I've also basted more hexie's, while watching TV. 
hexies
I've finished all the green, and some of the others, too.  I'm about half done now.

Not sure how much sewing I'll get done the rest of the week.  It's a busy week here. 

Hope you are having a productive week!




12 comments:

  1. Just love your elephant project. You must be able to make those purses in your sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wild venture to the jungle is looking so good! Love how you tackled the tail. Wow, your purses are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how the elephant is going. That tail is spot on! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been very busy! I love your elephant project. And that tail is awesome! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That elephant is marching along at a good pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tail! It is neat how it curled on its own! You have been busy making purses! We have the Dallas quilt show coming up this weekend I have volunteered for Saturday morning. My Husband volunteered us to go tomorrow and Sunday to help our Bernina set up and break down. If I had not bought tickets, we would still have been able to go all three days

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your elephants are fabulous. The purses are going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was away when you started this challenge, now that I've caught up (reading backwards) I love the elephant project, you've come up with so many great ideas! The quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post. I love your elephant project. Very clever with the tail construction. And those purses!! Are you selling them? The colors in all of them are wonderful, but I especially like the first one best. You have so many interesting and neat projects to keep you busy these days. I'm sure you never get bored either!! Have a great weekend. BTW. Your table runner for Kevin was PERFECT!! Spent the day sewing this week and it couldn't fit any better in the dining room. The fabrics you used were right on!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the elephant quilt - what a fun project! Great fabric choices for your purses, too. I look forward to seeing the finished items!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, your elephant project is super!! That's really eye-catching, Cheryl!! Looks like you're keeping busy and having fun doing so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been very productive! Love your elephant!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).