Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Zipper!

It worked!!!  I figured out how to add the zipper to the purse I needed to make.

First, I had to make the purse.
this is the pattern
This is the purse I made.
before zipper is added

This is the reason you can't add the zipper like in the other purses I made.  The other purses are 'birthed' then you close the slit in the bottom of the bag.  This bag is one piece.
purse before the sides are stitched closed

I've always made this purse (and the ones I finished last week) on my Featherweight.  I know there isn't much room under the arm of the machine, but, it's just too much fun, stitching on a purple machine.
stitching on Betty Sue


Several people asked me to show how I put in the zipper.  First, I cut zipper plackets, and ironed in some fusible fleece.
fusible fleece inside zipper placket fabric

Stitch it right sides together, leaving one end open, so that you can turn it.
ready to be stitched

Turn it inside out, and iron it flat.  Pin the ends, and then stitch the open end, adding the zipper as you go, on the long side, then stitch the last end.  Do the same thing with the other zipper flap.  It should look like this when you are done.
zipper plackets with zipper added, ready to be attached
Now you should have a 'finished' zipper placket, with no raw edges.

Pin one side of the zipper placket to the inside, top of the purse, centering it.  It might help if you open the zipper.
pinned, ready to stitch
When that side is done, close the zipper, and pin the other side to the other side of the purse.
last side of zipper pinned to purse
Open the zipper, and sew.  I stitched 1/4" down from the top of the purse.  You could stitch farther down if you wanted, but, I wanted as much room in the purse as possible.

Here is the finished purse.
stitched zipper
finished purse
I didn't have a zipper pull for this one, so, hubby and I just got back from Hobby Lobby.  An Angel zipper pull will be added soon. 

This purse is for my best friend, Michele.  Michele and I have been best friends for 40 years this week.  We met at her birthday party, that she shared with a friend of mine.  We've been best friends ever since.  Her birthday is March 23rd!

This purse was made to match the other purse I made for Michele at Christmas.  Michele sells Mary Kay, and she wanted something to put her Mary Kay stuff in.
Michele's Christmas purse

Happy Birthday Michele!

10 comments:

  1. Great job with the tutorial. Thanks for sharing. Good looking tote for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would figure it out, thanks for telling us how you did it. The tote is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will be selling make up in style! Great job! And I love your purple machine. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice thinking there Cheryl, glad you got it all figured out as the purse turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing with us, I'll certainly try that myself. I want a purple sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to put in a zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how fun! You used some cute prints for putting this piece together. I like how it's all one 'piece' like that. Great finish! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).