Friday, March 17, 2017

A Fiber Fun Day!

First, don't forget that Saturday is National Quilting Day!  Personally, I tend to celebrate it almost every day ;)

Yesterday, I didn't get any sewing done :(  Oh well, it was still a Fiber Fun Day!

I started off by shopping at JoAnn's.  I've run out of fusible fleece, and wanted to use my 60% off coupon.  Of course, I found a few extra things while shopping.
whole bolt of fusible fleece & some clearance fabrics
I also needed the rings to attach zipper pulls to the purses I'd just finished.  JoAnn's was nice, and had all the jewelry stuff on sale.  I also found a few charms for myself (sewing machines) and a couple of charms for 2 of the purses (kitty and hibiscus flower).
charms and hardware to attach them
I should have the zipper pulls attached today.  I'll try to remember to take some pictures when they are done.

When I got home, there was an envelope in the mail, with this months Block of the Month from Stitching Depot, in Texas. 

pieces, laid out

Stitching Depot BOM
Somehow, last month's block didn't get posted to the blog.  Here is is.  They weren't going to include the background fabrics, so, I purchased a special background fabric with barbed wire, to go with the blocks.  Since they included the background fabrics after all, I decided to make an extra block each month, in red/white/blue and use it for Quilts of Valor
February's BOM

my block with my background fabric

QoV block with their background fabric
I used my scraps to make this block.  I might turn into a (bit) of a scrap quilter after all.

Well....shortly after I got back home, the doorbell rang.  FedEx had a package for me.  On Monday, Henry Glass informed me that I'd won their latest fabric giveaway.  How cool.  They also said it might take a while to get it in the mail to me, because of the snowstorm expected in their area.  She must have mailed it as soon as I sent the address.

Henry Glass fabrics
I hadn't read that they were flannels, but, that's fine with me.  The fat quarter bundle contains 24 fat quarters.  There are 2 bonus fat quarters with hexies on them, and also a jelly roll with 40 strips, which they didn't show in the blog post.  Woohoo!  Even more fiber fun to play with.  I'm thinking that I have some baby quilts in my future. 

Not long after these arrived, it was time to head to quilt guild.  Joe Cunningham (Joe the Quilter) was speaking at guild.  He sang us a song on his brand new guitar, that his brother had given him the night before.  What a great brother!
Joe, with his new guitar
Then he showed us some of his quilts.
Joe with one of his early quilts

yes, the ink is on the quilt on purpose

this is the class that is being taught today (no, I'm not taking it)

Joe and another quilt

up close of some of the quilting




self portrait


how he labels his quilts

his latest quilt
We have a freebie table at quilt guild.  Someone put this great table runner top on the freebie table.  Of course I grabbed it.
table runner top
When this is finished, I think it will sit under one of my vintage machines.  More fiber fun!  I also got some great patterns, and some machine attachments and accessories, that will work with some my machines. 

Talk about some Fiber Fun, even without making a single stitch! 


Saturday (National Quilting Day!)  I have Ladies Crafting at my church.  I think I'll do some hand stitching on my elephant quilt.  What do you have planned for National Quilting Day?


PS:  If you don't get a reply from me, on any comments you make, then you are a no-reply blogger, and I can't reach you.  Please send me your email address, and, I'll save it for future comments.  My email address is listed under my profile, at the top of the page (top right hand column).  If you are on a cell phone, go to the bottom of the page, and click 'View Web Version' to get the column on your phone.  Comments REALLY DO matter to me!

Happy National Quilting Day/Weekend!



15 comments:

  1. You have had a lot of Fiber Fun!! I do love JoAnn's coupons. Enjoy Saturday - I'll be making pies to support our church mission team but later in the day, I do plan to get close to some fabric. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy NQ day to you, too. I'll be working on two jonquil paper pieced pot holders for two of my hubby's cousins coming to visit next week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great celebrations for National Quilting Day! I think you have kept up your end of the bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you and congrats on your HG winnings!!! You had a big day didn't you! I am also just read that you have 60 sewing machines???? Have you pic's of them here on your blog? I went to my JoAnns today too, wide backing is what I scored with the 60%.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great win! Very pretty fabrics! I love the Stitching Post. Have you ever been to it? It is a small shop with a big personality! She usually as some miniature quilts for me to drool over! I plan to get the borders on my Texas quilt in the morning. Then it is back to the Bernina store to sew off some more School machines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saturday is already half gone here. Do I still have time for some quilting? Good thing JoAnns is on the other side of a very big pond because some of those things might be very hard to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you celebrated in style, I pieced all day so I represented. I like seeing quilts that are made by artists, they're more than I would attempt but interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great win from HG. Those are perfect for several baby quilts. Lucky you! I plan to do some quilting/sewing today as I do EVERY DAY of the year. I might even attend a quilt show today or probably tomorrow will work out better. Your tablerunner freebie will be perfect under one of your vintage machines too. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In reading your profile I saw that you are a mis-placed Texan. So am I, sort of. I was raised in South Texas. Great fabrics in your win and nice runner. I am finishing Bonnie Hunters mystery quilt this weekend. Gotta sew to keep my sanity. Enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, you are no reply! I'd love to reply, but, I can't. Please send me your email address. Mine is listed under my profile, at the top of the page.

      Delete
  10. Wow you have had lots going on. Thanks for sharing the gorgeous quilts from Joe the quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the quilts. I've never seen Joe's work before.

    I'm going to check my JoAnns for those little sewing machine charms. They would be great on a crazy quilt block.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you celebrated the day quite 'winningly'!! Your guild program looks like it was fun -- we had our meeting this past Thursday and had a national speaker, too. Fun stuff! Your BOM prints are pretty. And nice haul from Henry Glass -- congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the mini quilt show of his work. I like the one with the man climbing the wall...interesting use of log cabin blocks and where did he find those large dots? Congrats on the win too. They look very comfy and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmmm guess I'm not signed in...Unknown above is quiltinjeanie@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).