Wednesday, February 12, 2020

February Stitching (so far) and a question for you

I've been stitching, I just haven't had time to blog about it.

First, I finished one baby quilt top.  I still haven't had time to stitch the 2nd top together yet.
baby quilt top

I've also finished the last 3 board game tops.  I need to quilt one of them for my guild's quilt show in March.  I'd better get a move on.
board game top

last 2 board game tops

I've also finished another 10 of the striped circle blocks.  I now have 22 blocks finished.
10 more blocks finished

I finally got started on my guild's challenge quilt for the upcoming quilt show.  I've known what I wanted to do for a long time, I just hadn't had time to get stitching on it.

Years ago, back in 2012, I learned how to paper piece with this block.  Here is the block I learned on.  I've never done anything with this block.  I didn't even have a Singer Featherweight until 2016.  Back then, I fused the needle and needle bar, and drew the spool top and bottom on with a marker.  The pattern mentions applique (way too small to applique those parts).

first paper pieced block

Well, the guild challenge is a Black & White challenge.  We can use one other color (has to match the paint chip) as long as it is 25% or less of the quilt.  Well, having a purple Featherweight, I decided to make a Featherweight quilt.  I couldn't use the original block, since it isn't all black & white (it has other colors). 

The finished quilt has to be 24 inches (each side) or less, so a 12 inch block also wasn't going to work.  I reduced the pattern to make a 11 inch (finished) block.  I also wanted 4 blocks.  Here are the 4 finished blocks.
4 Featherweight blocks

I paper pieced the entire thread spool on each block, and added a spool pin doily to each one.  I took 2 spool pin doilies that I had, and threaded some purple embroidery floss thru each of them, then stitched on either side of the middle, and cut them apart. 
one spool pin doily threaded with purple floss, one waiting it's turn
I also wanted to use different black & white fabrics for each machine.  I also embroidered the needle bar and needle on each machine.





Now, my question for you is, should I just sew the blocks together? or, should I put a tiny sashing between the blocks?  I can't add a border, since it would make the quilt too large.
un-shashed

sashed

The sashing fabric shown is scissors.  I'd fussy cut it.

I need to decide quickly, since the quilt show is March 14-15, 2020.  I'm thinking of hand quilting this.  I don't think it needs much quilting, and my machine quilting skills are limited to straight lines. 


23 comments:

  1. That block is super cool!!! My vote for your challenge quilt is sashing. You wouldn't want the machines banging together in a single case, would you? :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects. I agree sashing. Love your paper pieced machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your projects especially that baby quilt. Those Singer machines are awesome. I vote for the sashing and the same dark fabric for the binding. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all, but I can't stop looking at that baby quilt. It's just hypnotic in that fabric!

    I would definitely go for the scissors sashing between the Singer blocks. It makes them pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a no-reply blogger. I wish I could reply to you.

      Delete
  5. I would add sashing. It frames the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sashing. Since you can't add an outer border, maybe bind with scissor fabric to give it a bit of a frame. Love the machines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute blocks!!! I say its high time you practiced your FM skills!!! Either way I'd use notions designs for the quilting with a wavey line connecting them... similar to continuous quilting- scissor, thimble, pincusion, randomly placed and repeated. Add a bit more whimsy to it. I'll look forward to seeing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I too would do the challenge quilt with sashing! It makes the machine standing out more. It's going to be a super quilt and I love how you've used those doilies under the thread spools, very ingenious. I also admire your game board blocks (or are they individual quilts?). You have indeed been busy stitching. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun Singer pattern... love the spool pin doily addition, and that sashing fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cherul, love the Singer blocks and love them with the sashing! If you get to the MO TOGA this year please bring that for show n tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a no-reply blogger :( Yes, I'm hoping to get to the MO TOGA, and I'll bring it.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful featherweight blocks! Love them with sashing! Love the baby top and game boards - what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been busy! Glad you've gotten one of the baby quilts done. I also really like those singer blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sashing this is a great project love the block. hope to maybe see it at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, sashing done in string pieces with bits of purple maybe! Great block and will make a really cute finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG that is cool. I think a small dashing would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you've got a lot going on! Your baby quilt is really pretty. That layout with that particular fabric is really cool! I love your Singer blocks! I think I prefer it with the small sashing ... it sets the blocks/machines apart and makes each one more distinctly seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I vote to use sashing. 😊 The board game quilts are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great projects! I love the baby quilt - the idea of using one large block for the entire quilt is great! Super cool FW blocks; I actually like them without sashing, but definitely use the scissor fabric for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been getting a lot in! I vote for sashing as well. Those are very creative with the little doilies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Green with envy at all you manage to get done. Looking forward to the finish pix.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).