Thursday, March 12, 2020

Cancelled & Chaos

Late this morning, my quilt guild cancelled our quilt show this weekend.  They are hoping to reschedule it for October.  I had everything in my living room and dining room, waiting to be loaded in my car this afternoon.
10 machines waiting to be loaded in my car

treadle, 5 machines, and stuff

I had 14 full sized and 2 toy machines, along with sewing tables, recovered chairs, etc, for my booth at the quilt show. 

Oh well, it is also my church's Wild Game dinner this Saturday night.  Nope, that has also been cancelled.  Glad they cancelled it before I started cooking this afternoon.

My son and I went to Sam's to get gas and a few things on my list.  Oh My!  I've never seen so many people at Sam's before, even on the Saturday before Christmas!  It was crazy!  I couldn't get bread (all sold out), no toilet paper in the whole store (people were buying Kleenex as a substitute).  The lines were crazy long.  Most people had several cases of bottled water in their baskets.  What happened to the water that comes out of the faucet?  It's clean. 

Since we couldn't get bread or toilet paper, we decided to head to Meijer (grocery store).  It was also packed.  At least they still had some bread, but we missed the toilet paper by about an hour they said.  Why do people feel the need to hoard toilet paper?  Crazy!  Just buy a package, and leave the rest for everyone else.  Hopefully I won't run out before they restock it. 

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't need to take the time to load my car, or cook 4 recipes of venison Stroganoff, since one of our dogs had to be rushed to the vet this afternoon. 
drugged dog after x-rays
Poor Ratchet, our Alaskan Malamute, has been having pain on occasion the past few months when he tries to get up or down.   He's been on pain med's for the last month, hoping that it would help.  Yesterday and today he has gotten much worse, pain wise, to the point that he wouldn't even step up onto the stoop after he went outside.  After he squealed just walking to the grass, I called the vet again.  Now he is on more med's, to try to control the pain.  There really isn't much else we can do. 

I guess I'll be sewing at home this weekend. 




17 comments:

  1. So sorry that people have lost their minds over this. What happened to just being cautious and clean? Oh, it is going to be so sad putting all of your machines and stuff away with no place to go. NYS seems particularly overboard. When I was teaching in 2009, the swine flu decimated my classes, but no gatherings were cancelled enmasse. Hope your dog is able to get some relief and heal up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the bright side... You hadn't just FINISHED loading the car when you found out the show was canceled!!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel your pain. Our big show in April is cancelled as k-12 schools are starting to cancel outside events or close after spring break. Our event was to be at one of the schools. I wasn't ready to load a car, but I have a lot of stuff enmass prepped in my house. Now we need to get the word out and reimburse people and vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the show. And about Ratchet. It's hard to see our furry friends suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's what I'm doing too since there's not much going on here either. I can imagine that it's annoying for you that your show was cancelled after all the prep work. I don't get the toilet paper panic-buying. I can understand food and water but toilet paper isn't essential. Funny enough we haven't had this problem here in Switzerland but my friends in Singapore, Australia and now in the UK are telling me the same. People are strange, aren't they? I hope poor Ratchet is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Ratchet. At least Nikko was not suffering to the end. Things are cancelled here in Tokyo too and causing a lot of inconveniences. No toilet paper here for weeks and it must be hard for large families with kids and parents having to work from home. What a bummer to have the show cancelled after all the stuff had been set for loading. Let's hope things settle down before long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you let me know!!! before I made it up there! Got the hotel canceled too without any difficulty too! Going to miss the show, tho. Due to where we now live and the smallness of septic acceptable tp rolls, I buy it by the BIG pack and fortunately still have most of one left. The cats on the other hand will be in need of food soon, so I will be taking advantage of the next few days to prep for self quarantine... and concentrating on finishing the house and taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Ratchet and hoping that it's not serious, maybe arthritis? It's so hard when our pets are in pain. Hope you find out something useful from the x-rays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the notice on FB that they cancelled the show. The daughter who works at Meijer said last night when she went into work (stocks the dairy, cheese, yogurt, butter) the shelves were bare. Oh I am sorry about your dog, maybe it is fortuitous you are staying home if Ratchet is feeling poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have had a rough few days. All the prep is tiring and then to have to delay everything and no TP! I know things are so crazy right now and people are in such a panic. Hopefully things will return to a normal in a few weeks. So sorry for your dog's pain....nothing to help is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear that this event has been cancelled and that your puppy is suffering.
    I don't understand the hoarding behaviour either. I told my friends... I will not be hoarding anything so you may get a call from me at some point to drive over and throw some me food or toilet paper up on my porch! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all the overload from the media is causing mass hysteria . . . we've gone through Ebola, SARS, and all the other "we are all gonna die" diseases that I can't even remember the names of & we made it through.

    I can't believe how many schools/facilities are closing to do major cleaning. Weren't they doing deep cleaning as a routine before? It seems to me that cleaning should mean the same thing day in & day out. . . not just get more intense when there is an outbreak of some virus.

    Just sitting here shaking my head at all the craziness.

    I do hope that your pup feels better soon. . .it is so hard when they are not doing well & you just don't know what to do for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess we all need to sew at home these days. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. saw the cancellation for the show sorry about that. hope Ratchet gets better. take care I found TP in our aldi store and got last 4 boxes of Kleenex. no cleaning supplies though. got cat and dog food and food for us. stay safe and keep sewing

    ReplyDelete
  15. We ran into the same issue at Sam's. We were just after a few things and it was packed, completely out of meat and all kinds of things! (Btw, we have the app on our phone--you can scan items as you put them in your cart, pay on your phone and walk right out, only checking at the door, completely skipping those lines and touching any register (germs). It's fantastic!). I just find all of this to be so weird, like a sci-fi movie or something. At least you didn't get all that loaded up in your car I guess. Stay in, stay safe and sew away!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our guild cancelled our regularly scheduled meeting, too. Sigh. I'm sorry about your show. That's kind of a letdown, huh? Stay safe and well!! I hope your poor doggie is feeling better soon, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really behind on my blog reading, and am just seeing this about your dog. Poor thing! I hope he is feeling better by now. Sorry about your show. This virus is messing up everyone's plans. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).