Monday, March 16, 2020

TOBE blocks and Singing

Friday evening, my husband's Barbershop Chorus had a concert, along with an even smaller chorus.  I wasn't going to get to attend, since I was supposed to be setting up my booth of vintage machines at the quilt show, but since the quilt show was cancelled, I got to attend after all.  It was a nice concert.


Sorry for the lousy photos, but the auditorium was dark, and I couldn't use my flash.

There were only about 50 or so people who attended, and everyone was spread out across the auditorium.  As we were leaving, the venue staff was cleaning all the surfaces with wipes. 

I worked on some exchange blocks (TOBE blocks) over the weekend.  I didn't get started on them until late afternoon on Saturday.  I have a couple of different exchanges coming up over the next few months.  There is the Spring Basic TOBE (Treadle On Block Exchange) which is half square triangles.  Those are due in April.  I also have a Monkey Wrench TOBE that is due in June.  I'd already made a set of Monkey Wrench blocks, since I needed them to write up the tutorial for the exchange.  Over the weekend I got 2 more sets of blocks made for each exchange.  All of these blocks have to be made on either a hand crank or a treadle sewing machine (people powered).
Spring Basic made on a Post WWII Japanese Class 15 hand crank

Monkey Wrench made on a Post WWII Japanese Class 15 hand crank

Spring Basic made on 1914 Singer 66k hand crank

Monkey Wrench made on 1914 Singer 66k hand crank

Yesterday, I decided that I needed some laughs, so I watched several Brendon Fraser movies (Encino Man, Blast From the Past, Mrs. Winterbourne & The Mummy). 

I have another machine set up in my sewing room already, to complete another set of blocks for each TOBE.  I'll get started on them after supper.

Hubby is supposed to work from home starting tomorrow, at least thru the end of the week.  I can't work from home, since I'm a caregiver for an elderly blind man. 

Everyone stay safe.  PLEASE take precautions (like wearing gloves when you go grocery shopping, etc).  Take it from me, you can get very sick from germs on grocery carts (like the flu I had in February, and my son getting chicken pox from a grocery cart). 

9 comments:

  1. How cool to be able to attend the concert. Neat blocks. Take care and keep healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unexpected effects from the virus descending into our lives....some good and some bad. It just depends on how you use the time and what you decide to do. Glad the concert was good, and love seeing your machines. You stay safe too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That aqua machine would compliment the shop!!! Although... hand cranking and stitching might be more than I can handle coordination wise!!! Wash often!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you got to go hear hubby sing. your blocks are great keep on treadling... I am working on a BOM that had started couple years ago. and doing long arm quilting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the monkey wrench block! I've not done it yet, so it went on my "to learn" list. And I loved seeing your beautiful old workhorses. Their simplicity is their strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a no-reply blogger, so I can't reply directly to you (I doubt you'll even see this). The Monkey Wrench block is similar to the Churn Dash block, and I've made dozens of the Churn Dash blocks over the years. I love sewing on my vintage machines. They are so pretty to look at, and they stitch great. I wish I worked so well, and I'm younger than they are.

      Delete
  6. How neat your husband is a Barbershop singer. Glad you got to go even at the expense of canceling a quilt event. Wow, you are cranking out those blocks. One of these days, I am going to convert one of my oldies to crank. It was so good to see your Mom at the last 1st Saturday. We had a good visit and I got to meet your Dad, too. That may be the last 1st Saturday for awhile...at least for me as I can't risk taking anything home to my husband who has a comprised respiratory illness. Lots of things are changing...sure glad I have a good stash of fabric and yarn. Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry your show was canceled - but so glad you could see your husband perform!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My DH is in a singing group too,but his concert was cancelled. He is working from home now, and we are not killing each other. He spends his days in the kids old playroom, and I spend mine in the sewing room. I was hoping this social distancing would only last a couple of weeks, but it will be longer, I think. Schools here are closed for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).