Friday, March 27, 2020

Covid-19 Shut-Down, Week One

The State of Illinois shut down on Saturday, March 21st.  My job is considered 'essential' (Home Health Care Worker) so I'm still going to work every day.

My week started with snow.  Thank goodness it didn't stick to the roads.  We got almost 4 inches.  Of course it was almost all gone by the end of the day, Monday.  As I'm writing this, it's 55 degrees outside.  Welcome to Spring!
my back yard

Last week, I stopped by Salvation Army to buy a sheet and some pillow shams.  I wanted the sheet (queen size) to put over my grocery basket when I shop (to keep my items and me from touching the basket).  The pillow shams I turned into washable grocery bags.  I've already used them a couple of times.  I made 7 bags (two of each except the pink one).  As soon as I get home, I throw them in the washer/dryer.
washable grocery bags

After I finished the bags, I started cutting out fabric to make face masks (using Jenny Doan's tutorial)(photo tutorial).  I'll be adding a pipe cleaner at the top (inside, next to the seam), so that they can fit around the nose better.  I have 68 masks cut out, ready to stitch.  I even ordered some matching thread thru the Joann's app, to pick up curb side. 
enough to make 68 face masks
Yes, I know there isn't enough elastic in the photo to make 68 masks, but I have a whole large bag of different sizes of elastic, so I won't be running out any time soon.  There is a nursing home near here that wants face masks.

I had the day off today, so I had a virtual lunch date with a friend.  We got on the Zoom app, and had lunch together.  Even our dogs joined in (they all got treats).
my lunch

I also put a Teddy Bear in my window.  Lots of families are going on bear hunts (story here).  My son and daughter-in-law took our grandkids on a bear hunt yesterday in Anchorage.  They found lots of Teddy Bears AND a real live MOOSE.  They sent a video, but I don't know how to add it to my blog, sorry (I'm not tech savvy).  We live on a corner, so the side of my yard gets lots of foot traffic.  I put our bear in the side window.
teddy bear in my window

Some neighborhoods (across the country) are also putting up rainbow pictures in windows, and also adding fun chalk sayings and drawings to their sidewalks and driveways.  I've given all my sidewalk chalk to the little girls next door, so they will have to add some stuff to our driveway (they love to do that anyways). 

Lots of fun ways to help entertain everyone during these difficult times.  Are you doing anything 'extra' due to Covid-19? 

Oh yea, Marie Bostwick, the (quilt) author, is hosting a read-along of her book 'A Single Thread'.  You can hear her read her book on Facebook or on YouTube.  (I'm not on Facebook, so I'm really happy that she is adding them to YouTube). 

Well, it's time for me to head to my sewing room and finally get some stitching done.  I'll be listening to Marie read from her book.

What are YOU doing during this crazy time?


15 comments:

  1. Love your idea of the shams turned into totes. I use regular tote too for groceries and it is easy to wash them. Never thought of the sheet idea...will look for an old one here. Seems like you have a new normal. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea with the totes. I am working too. When I manage a day off I have been doing some selfish sewing and moving stuff along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative. Love the totes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are doing well thru this. Totes from pillow shams is a fantastic idea. We can no longer take our totes into our local grocery store during the virus outbreak but it will end. Stay safe! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice recycling job on your new grocery totes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have heard of the bear and sidewalk chalk, both very cute (our house is too far back from the street). Nothing too out of the norm here, other than just staying home and keeping antibacterial wipes in my car on the rare visits to the store. The one big change is not being able to go to daily Mass, not to mention Sundays. It's never cancelled, not even for weather--streaming it just isn't the same though we do appreciate the option. I can't imagine missing the Easter Triduum. :o(. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Repurposing - great idea. Lucky you got elastic at all. Our shut down has been extended another 2 weeks so I better find more things to keep me busy - HAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering how long it will take until the young people get serious and stay home. They just can't give up partying under the cherry trees. I have been using a nylon shopping bag for years, It rolls up into its own pocket and can be washed and dried in no time. I was talking with the girls on skype and at 7:00pm they all went outside and banged on pans to thank the health workers. Hmm. Don't think that would catch on here. I saw some masks made with button to save ear irritation from days of elastic. The best part of being off school is not having to wear that annoying mask!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a teddy bear in the window. Will listen to Marie on YT. Your healthcare job is so important now more than ever. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring is almost done here. Grass has already been cut, trees are leafing and the daffs are done!!! Today will be the 3rd severe weather deal... but we are almost totally ready. Need to make some adjustments, but the basics are in place. I spent most of the week prepping for taxes and cooking. Soups in the freezer incase I am the one that gets sick. I know I like my cooking!!!! and anything is better than canned soup if you can get it! Stay well and far far away from strangers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. stay safe I made some masks too. we have our grandson during this time. they were here on spring break when the order came out so they are just staying here in the country. Hubby and boys are learning to weld by you tube and some help by distance from Mary Ann's Husband so I made them welding caps to wear under the helmets. I am getting some sewing done but making 3 meals a day and cleaning up takes most of the time.. hope to work on quilt in machine today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so lucky to have/find elastic! There is none to be had anywhere. Good idea for making those tote bags and the sheet in the shopping cart. I hadn't thought of that, but you are right on the ball. It looks like you are keeping busy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also making masks -- for a daughter who works in an ER in VA (we live in AL). As of today, we are on 24 hr lock down, but the UPS store is only 1/2 miles from us and is open, so I think we should be able to mail them OK. I watched Jenny's video, and I also watch one of Jackie Kunkle (sp?) which was good. So I am kind of doing a combination of the two. I felt that Jackie's way of doing the tucks was helpful. Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com
    P.S. Where do you live in IL? We lived in Champaign for 52 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your idea for washable grocery bags. I'll have to see if I can make some from stash, as thrift stores aren't open here. Folks here are putting their Christmas lights (or other holiday lights) back out in response to our shelter at home order. Have a safe and healthy week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been keeping busy. Thanks for working through this crisis and please, stay safe. I made some of the masks too for our local hospital. It seems like a small thing, but I think everyone wants to help if they can. I like your washable bags. good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).