Thursday, May 7, 2020

A Finish and lots of progress!

I finished the Wego Quiltin' challenge quilt for 'All About Me.'  It was finished Sunday night, but I couldn't get a photo until yesterday because of clouds and rain. 
63" x 87"

This is 'All About Me' for many reasons.  I love the color RED.  I adopted someone else's quilty blocks (I can't pass up someone else's  discarded 'stuff').  It has a vintage (red with polka dots) sewing machine from a project way back in 2012 (I'm the queen of UFO's)(I did finish the first project back in 2012 for this same guild)(and I love polka dots!).  The large blocks are 'found' items from a thrift store (yes, I love thrift stores and antique shops).  And I love anything with a sewing/quilting theme.  I've even taught several different ways to make Flying Geese (at both guilds, a TOGA and a quilt show). 

I love the blocks I adopted from Erin at My Patchwork Life.  (Sorry for the photos, but I took them while hubby was holding the quilt).









This was made for the guild challenge, and was due for the May meeting.  Well, with Covid, we couldn't have a normal meeting, but 9 of us met in the Hobby Lobby parking lot (every other parking space) and sat in chairs and chatted and showed our 'All About Me' quilts.  Not everyone could participate, so we'll show them again when we can meet normally again.  We enjoyed getting to actually 'see' each other.  We were safe and following rules.  We know, since the Oswego Community Police SUV drove by (about 15 yards from us) and didn't even slow down.  We'll meet this way again, I'm sure.

I have been working on other things, too.  Over the weekend I got 2 baby quilts basted and also the two Toilet Paper quilts basted. 

Tuesday and Wednesday I completed two more baby quilts (one of those babies is already born).  These would have been done long ago, but I chose to buy some jelly rolls to speed things up.  Well, those jelly rolls didn't speed anything up, since EVERY strip was LARGER than 2 1/2 inches.  I had to trim EVERY piece that I had already cut.  Grrr!!!!
trimmings cut off from one of the baby quilt strips

I did get both quilt tops stitched up. 
Alphabet (42" x 36")


Monsters and stripes (42" x 36")


Now to get these spray basted and quilted.  Speaking of spray baste, I bought a different brand than I normally use, since it was on sale at Quilt in a Day.  I usually use Spray-n-Bond, which I LOVE!  It doesn't smell and I can use it inside. I used to buy Spray-n-Bond at Meijer and Walmart, but it's hard to find now (and Walmart has doubled the price online). What I bought from Quilt in a Day is Dritz Basting Spray.  UGH!  It STINKS!!!  I won't be able to use this inside.  Basting outside is hard to do, what with wind, etc. (and no, I can't do it in the garage since hubby has all his woodworking stuff in the garage).  Unfortunately I bought 12 cans, knowing that I had baby quilts and other projects coming up.

I've been busy, what with outdoor meetings and online meetings.  Our church had an online Bingo get together Tuesday evening.  FUN!  Hubby won a gift card to a local restaurant.  We had about 45 people participate, and we all stayed on to chat for quite a while.  I'd love to do it again, even without prizes.  Everyone is coming up with very creative ways to get together.  I'm meeting up with a friend for lunch again.  So far we've done Chick-fil-a and Panera.  We haven't decided where we're going today.  We'll grab our food, and then drive over to the grocery store parking lot and chat and eat in our cars. 

9 comments:

  1. Your "All About Me" quilt and those two quilt tops are all AWESOME!!! Such a great story about your challenge piece, too. Is there a pattern that you used for those kid quilts? Off to check your post again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "All About Me" is perfect! I love the sayings and all of the different blocks. You did a fantastic job pulling everything together. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt. Your meet up in the Hobby Lobby parking lot made me giggle. Love your baby quilt. That is a lot of cans of stinky spray baste to use. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the challenge quilt turned out. Red/Black/White is a very classic setting for me. I've used that JR pattern for kids quilts as well - goes very fast and great with any color/mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The All About Me quilt is very interesting to look at.
    I have not used the Spray-n-bond basting. I don't generally like to use any of them inside. I like the 505 best of all the ones I have used. But I will remember the Spray N Bond for a second alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really got creative with the red top, it was fun reading all the sayings! I love how you gals met in the parking lot and showed your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the baby quilts!!! They are so bright. A finish is a finish is a finish, even if you combine years worth of UFO's. Here we have not had a quild meeting since February. Of the 4 guilds I regularly attend, none have met! I think I may orgainize a meeting, in a school parking lot! Thanks for making me think. I have been way too busy here to really miss the going places. Preparing for some new residients. They are destined for the dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good way to meet friends for lunch! I'm tired of my own cooking, and I miss my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your "All About Me" quilt turned out great! Love all the quilty sayings!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).