Monday, May 11, 2020

Squirrel Stitching

I got distracted this morning with a 'squirrel' project.  Sew4Home offered the cutest pillow this morning in their newsletter.  They have some of the cutest projects.  This one is a Ukulele pillow.  I knew my grandkids would like a Ukulele pillow to play with.

I did do things just slightly different than their pattern called for.  Instead of cutting the interfacing, then ironing it on, I decided to iron interfacing to the material, then cut it.  I figured it might make the seam a bit stronger.  Also, I sewed the buttons on before I sewed the front and back pieces together.  It was just easier for me that way.

1927 Singer 15 hand crank
 I stitched this on one of my hand cranks.  Instead of using a zig zag stitch by machine on the brown felt parts, I hand stitched the blanket stitch on those two pieces.  I did use my Janome to stitch the strings.  I had never used the stitch that they recommended.  It worked great!

ironed, before stuffing it
finished Ukulele pillow

This was a fun project.  I was supposed to be hand quilting one of the Toilet Paper quilts today.  Oh well, I'll work on that quilt tomorrow.

Last week I did finish more of the striped circle blocks.  I now have 52 of these blocks.  Until last week, I hadn't stitched on those since March.  I only stitch on these blocks at work, and I only got to work 5 days in April (and I stitched on the TP quilts those days).
striped circles

I did make more of the black circles this week.  I ran out of them.  I still have lots more to make. 

I get to work 3 days this week, so, after the TP quilt is quilted, I'll work on the striped circle blocks.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pattern link for the pillow. That is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little squirrel project and it was for the grankids which makes it important to me. I do love those circle blocks - if I had some black I would be so tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun pillow! I love your fabric choices. Also your circle blocks look great. How many more do you need?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like all fun sewing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ukulele pillow is adorable! I have a granddaughter that plays ukulele and I think I see a pillow in her future - thanks! I'm glad you'll get some working time in this week. Enjoy! ~Jeanne


    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ukulele pillow is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squirrel projects are always so much fun! I love throwing caution to the wind (and the sewing room) to start a quick project that brings me happiness! Great tips on making the ukulele pillow easier and more sewing-friendly. Keep the camera handy for the grandkids to start playing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute and unique pillow! It's always good to take time for a squirrel:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, cute pillow. My sons have a real ukulele, along with a banjo and many guitars. It gets loud around here sometimes--not that I mind, but I bet the pillow is much quieter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That might be a fun use for my tin of striped fabrics ... Oh my, going to blogger is an overkill of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your uke is fabulous!!!! What as great and cheerful idea for anyone, not just for music lovers (or Hawaii lovers!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nifty ukelele pillow! I know they'll love it. I love combining stitching a project up on 'old faithfuls' like your Singer (my Featherweight) and newer machines! I also love squirrel projects...in fact I host a linky party on the last Saturday of every month where we celebrate all things DrEAMi: Drop Everything And Make it! which is totally what you did here. A quintessential DrEAMi. Maybe you would link up with us at the end of May? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh!! What a cool distraction - grandkids will love it - but I bet their parents will love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That fabric for the Ukelele is/was one of my most favorite 'Lime' greens. Still have a small piece (hoarding for just the right place). I have also been distracted, by the outside... and the car engine light! Hours lost to that! Enjoy work and catching up on your projects. We all need progress.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).