Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Weekend Fun and Things

 We went out of town for the weekend.  We went to a friends birthday party. 

Our friend and his dad cooked a 180 pound pig in their rotisserie cooker.  They have to wrap the pig in chicken wire so that it doesn't fall apart while cooking.

180 lb pig

It took 4 men about 1 1/2 hours to cut all the meat off the pig.

slicing up the pork

This party would be the first time I would be off my diet since I started it, back the end of January.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to count calories or find foods that would work with my diet.  Part of why I was worried is that my weight loss has slowed down this past month (expected, but not appreciated).  I found lots that I could eat, and still stay with my diet.

my plate

I could easily count calories with these foods.  I guessed how much pork (2 servings, Yum!), and the other items were easy to calculate.  I was able to stick with my diet all weekend.


Our friends mother is a quilter and a friend of mine.  A few years ago I gave her a Singer 66 to put in her treadle base.  The machine she had was frozen.  During this visit, she gave me the machine that had been in the treadle.  I'll see if I can get it cleaned up and working.  She also sent me home with another machine to clean up and get working for her.  

front machine I'll clean for her, the back machine is now mine

She also sent 3 teapots home with me.  She remembered that I had a couple of vegetable teapots in my kitchen, so she gave me a bell pepper teapot.


She also gave me a pretty pottery teapot.


This copper and brass teapot has a longhorn cow on the spout.  How cute! Perfect for a (misplaced) Texas gal.




I got some sewing done before and after the trip.  I made 2 bumblebee blocks.  These will be made up into mug rugs.



On Monday, I received the Spring Basic TOBE (Treadle On Block Exchange) blocks in the mail.  Here are the blocks I mailed in.
4 sets of 8 blocks


Here are the blocks I got back.



I received 48 blocks from 2 countries (USA & Canada) from 12 participants (not including myself) from 10 states made on 17 different people powered sewing machines (treadles or hand cranks).  I love to participate in Treadle On block exchanges. 


I saw the weight loss doctor yesterday.  35 pounds lost so far.  She pointed out that I have met my 6 month goal in just 4 months.  Woohoo!  I celebrated with (frozen) lasagna, mushrooms, garlic toast and ice cream.  Don't worry, my calorie count for the day was right on track.  


I haven't gotten any sewing done in the past few days, but hopefully, with a 3 day weekend, I'll get lots stitched.  

13 comments:

  1. It is interesting how different weight loss plans work for different people. On my plan I couldn't have had the pineapple, grapes or watermelon on your plate, but everything else would be fine. (I would have had a few extra strawberries.) Of course the plan I am on has reversing diabetes as the main goal and weight loss is the "side effect." I have lost 15 pounds of my 20-25 lb goal since February.
    Congrats on your loss.
    I love those swap blocks. I did a "signed block" swap years ago. The little quilt still makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to have some new teapots for your collection. Love the colors of blocks you made for the exchange, and those bee blocks are sweet as honey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your weight loss!!!! So glad you were able to count calories over the weekend. You are doing great. I do love your bumblebee blocks - so cute! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, many congrats on your weight loss. I can't imagine your clothes are still wearable with so many pounds gone. You will need to take up sewing clothes or buying a whole new wardrobe.
    I do really like your honey bees. I may have to borrow your pattern since that is one of my favorite motifs. I'm always mentioned as "busy as a little bee" and have a name tag shaped bee I wear to meetings when we were meeting in person. Your party looked like so much fun and great food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a super fun weekend!! And so glad you could find foods that worked for you. THose machines are really cool! I found an old one - I may be turning to you to see what it is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the little pepper tea pot! I remember a pig-roast (they did theirs in a pit) at my aunt's one time. I would love to do one here but that is a LOT of meat! Guess we'd have to have a huge party! I struggled with my eating this weekend, but for me, that's what weekends are for now--my "cheat" days. The struggle is not over-doing it when we have big meals for all the family. I can get right back at it on Monday but when we have everyone over and I cheat way too much, it's mid-week till I'm seeing the scale back to where it was. Glad you had fun! To everything there is a season, and we need to enjoy our friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making awesome progress. I think I have plateaued. Not too shabby after almost 4 months of losing a couple of pound per week. The pig roast looks awesome. I think most of the time we can find foods, at parties and everything else. Neat new machines, great blocks, and love the bee. Awesome teapots too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my goodness... total swoon over the red eye! Both are lovely machines!
    Very interesting pig roast photos... I've never seen such a thing!
    Also love the tea pots :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a great weekend. And congrats on the weight loss. I love your new teapots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great weekend, Cheryl!! Big WIN on sticking to your diet, as I'm pretty sure that I would have "cheated."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on sticking with your weight loss plan - I know how difficult it can be in social situations! Great looking teapots - what fun! And two machines to work on...sounds like a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Summer eats - lots to enjoy while dieting if you look. Love those teapots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow... that was a big pig for spitting!!! Good for you on the continued loss! Those bees are sooooo cute! My zipcode is in the Honey Bee Capital of Kentucky! and we have a "Honeyfest" in September each year!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).