Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Trials & Tribulations & New Family Members

 Sorry I haven't posted since March 26th.  I also quit reading blogs on that day (I did just get caught up with all the blogs I follow).

March and April were difficult months for me.  We lost a sweet young lady, Rachel, the beginning of March.  A day later, a friend was diagnosed with an aggressive brain cancer.  He died a month later.

March 25th, Debbie of Stitching Therapy sent an email to a few of her followers, to let us know that she had been diagnosed with cancer.  We lost Debbie on April 20th. 

Within a few days of Debbie's email, I found out that 2 more friends had cancer.  One has an aggressive brain tumor, and they have called in hospice for her.  The other one is doing well, so far.  

All of that dealt me some big blows.  As far as blogging was concerned, I just shut down.  


*don't look at the next 2 photos if you are squeemish...

Easter Sunday, my oldest son's birthday, he and hubby went to play disc golf. Someone thru a wild disc and yelled 'look out'!  My son turned to see what to look out for, and the disc hit him on his eyebrow and cut it open.  These disc's can travel 50-70 mph easily.  They have a hard edge, unlike a frisbee, which has rounded edges. 

The man who thru the disc apologized, and didn't finish his round.  Our son doesn't have health insurance, so hubby brought him home, and we fixed him up with butterfly bandages. 

AFTER we cleaned all the blood off

starting to heal

Thank goodness my son has healed well and only has a thin scar now.  




***Ok, you can see the rest of the photos now.

I also managed to get vaccinated during March/April. No side effects, either, thank goodness, other than a sore arm with the first shot.


NEW FAMILY MEMBERS:

April 16th, we adopted a dog.  Our last Alaskan Malamute, Ratchet, died last summer.  It was time to find a new one.  Meet Ziva, a 5 year old female Alaskan Malamute.

Ziva with her new family (Us)

Ziva

Our old dog, Katie, wasn't sure what to do with a new dog, but they are co-existing.  Katie is old (13 years) and doesn't play.  Ziva wants to play.  Ziva loves to go with my hubby and son to play disc golf.  



On April 20th, we got a new grandson!  Declan Asher is our 3rd grandchild.  

Declan Asher

Declan's big sister and brother love their new baby brother!  What with Covid and the fact that they all live in Alaska, we're not sure when we'll get to meet Declan face to face.  I also haven't finished Declan's baby quilts.  He's been using his brother's and sister's quilts.


I'll get caught up with my sewing in another blog post.




16 comments:

  1. You certainly have had a rough couple of months. But your new grandson is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also mourn the loss of Debbie and Stitching Therapy, and you certainly have experienced a lot of loss recently. I am glad to see you are back at your blog and finding reasons for joy amidst the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goodness, Cheryl!! That's a whole lot of stuff to deal with in a short period of time. Sending you comforting quilty hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHEW !!! You sure had a lot to deal with. Thankfully there is a new healthy grandbaby. (and a hew dog :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy. You are a no-reply commentor, so I can't respond to you personally.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Spring has been pretty brutal for ya. Hugs, for sure. Glad you are vaccinated and ready to 'move about the cabin!' New is good and both are good for a hug (eventually).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Debbie's death affected a lot of us. She was a loving and kind person.

    hooray for the new Grandbaby. I hope you get to see and hold him while he is still a babe in arms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a rough year for you and I'm sure it feels like it'll never stop. Debbie Clark's death was hard for me; she was a sweetheart. I hope the bright spots help you through. Your new grandson is precious and Ziva should bring you joy. I'm so happy your son's head is healing. Sending hugs and positive wishes. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's hope that season in your life is over for a while. Welcome Ziva you have an excellent family. Oh ouch disc in the face, looks like you did an excellent job of patching him up with butterfly bandages, and it will just add to your son's rugged good looks. :) Oh Declan what a cutie, I am sure you will soon be able to go visit him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy you sure have had a lot of negative stuff happen, so sorry Cheryl. Hugs to you. But just look at those chubby baby cheeks, congrats on the new additions;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so sorry to hear about all the sad news in your life in the last while! It's a lot to process for sure and you need to take time to grieve. Sending huge hugs from Canada! Hope you will be able to find joy in making quilts for little Declan. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear all the bad news, but I hope you get to see the new grandbaby soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my that is a lot to deal with in such a short period of time! Sending you hugs. I do like your new dog tho - how pretty! oh!! and the grandbaby - oh how sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sad to hear about Debbie's passing. It's been a while since I've gotten on the blog site. Prayers for her family and friends to have God's comfort. You have a wonderful new pet and handsome little grandson. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did miss you and am sorry about all the bad news that has come your way. Let's pray the rest of the year goes better. Your new babies are really cute -- grandbaby and dog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just this morning I was going back through some old posts of mine (looking for something) and I kept seeing comments from Debbie (Stitchin Therapy). She was so encouraging and positive! No I never met her but I miss her. I am happy she is no longer in pain but her absence is felt strongly down here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).