Monday, July 12, 2021

2021 Missouri TOGA

 Sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything, but I've been out of town.  First, we went to a wedding in Wisconsin, then we headed south to Missouri, and finally ended up in Texas, to see our parents.  Whew!  I'm tired from my vacation!

This post will be about the 2021 Missouri TOGA (Treadle On Gathering & Academy).  This was the 4th Missouri TOGA.  Previous TOGA's were in 2018, 2019 & 2020.

We met in a new place this year, Cross Point Church in Ava, MO.  It was a great place for the TOGA.  We started on Thursday, and Gina taught on the Proper Care and Feeding of Your Vintage Sewing Machine. 

Gina's class


What TOGA would be complete without a Hospital?  Floyd was our surgeon in residence for this TOGA, but there were lots of 'doctors' practicing on machines all weekend.

The 'Doctor' at work on a machine

We got to use the sanctuary as our main place to set up.  It started out with chairs...


But quickly looked like this...




I have to sneak in a photo of Missy and I in our matching t-shirts.  They were perfect for us, since we both have a hard time turning down vintage sewing machines.

All I Need is This
Sewing Machine
And That Other
Sewing Machine
and those sewing machines
over there, and...

As always, some of us get together for supper, too.  We had fun at Archie's Diner.



Friday was another busy day.  Missy taught how to make the block for next years raffle quilt.  I'd already made mine a few months ago, since I'm usually too busy at the TOGA to get much sewing done.


I taught fabric baskets...
first basket finished










Rhonda taught Snail Pincushions (mine isn't even started yet).
first snail pin cushion (almost) finished



We had a Trader's Dice game for 2 1/2" strips.

Here are some other photos.

checking out the raffle table goodies


slow time at the hospital

Drawing room treadle with Singer 66 Lotus on the raffle table

more machines and fabric bundles on the raffle table

another machine and stuff on the raffle table

this year's raffle quilt

Welcome and registration table

some items for sale

working on her new (to her) treadle

After the TOGA was done for the day, Missy and I (and a few others) went to see the fireworks.  We sat so close that we could see the cans that they were using to set the fireworks off.  Boy was it LOUD! being that close.






Saturday was our last day.  Dorise taught us how to make phone or tablet stands (nope, mine isn't started yet).  I took different views of the stands.




I taught Faux Binding technique using the mug rugs from my last blog post. I also taught some methods for removing rust from machine parts.  

We had our mug rug exchange.




mug rug and mug I won, with a bonus pin cushion

We had fun with the raffle table.  There was so much stuff to choose from.
Missy and I drawing tickets for raffle winners


Missy won the Drawing Room treadle, and she 'split' it with Barb (who wanted the machine in the treadle).  NO, I didn't come home with another machine.  

The last thing we did was draw for the winner of the raffle quilt.
2021 Raffle quilt
  
Nope, I didn't win the quilt this year.  Oh well, there's always next year.

I forgot to show you Barb's hair decoration.  She changed it up every day.
check out the sewing machine on her hair pin


A few of us finished up the TOGA with supper at Hucklebucks BBQ.

What a great TOGA!  I miss everyone already.  See all of you next year!




























14 comments:

  1. looks like you had a great time. love the fabric basket you or others made is their a pattern for it available? love to have a small hand crank sometime. I have not been doing much sewing due to the broken ankle. I have put a sewing machine on the dining room table that has start/stop button and made a lap quilt for grandson HS graduation he will get the top, back and label this weekend and then will quilt it when I can stand on 2 feet to long arm it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all had an awesome time! How many attended?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it sounds and looks incredible! I wish I lived closer, I would love to participate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a great time. Thanks for sharing it with us. Do you get a lot of kids? I love their baskets. I hope you are getting rested from your vacations. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun! I am so jealous! Can't wait until covid is over and we can travel to the US once again to attend a TOGA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great time! I enjoyed all the pics! (Thought of you a couple weeks ago when my SIL offered to sell me one of her featherweights!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures. And it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing: it was almost like being there! Love the fabric baskets, snail pincushion, and blocks for next year's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow there was lots going on...and lots to do and it looks like you had lots of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much going on at the TOGA. Looks like a great time. So nice to see you and Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, it was like visiting with my friends again!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).