Monday, June 13, 2022

Happy National Sewing Machine Day #1 (2022)

Today is the first National Sewing Machine Day of 2022!  (the 2nd day is September 10th).  To celebrate, I'm showing you a treadle that I cleaned and serviced for a friend.  This was his grandmother's treadle that had been in his mother's attic for years.  

dirty after sitting in an attic for years

pretty treadle peddle

nice treadle irons

wood cabinet in distressed shape

first photo I received of the treadle

The leather strap that attaches the machine lift to the table extension had snapped and wasn't fixable.  Hubby fixed this by using black paracord, which was much easier to use than trying to find another long, thin piece of leather.  Many machines use metal cord, but this one had used leather.  Hubby tested his idea of using paracord by using some of his yellow paracord first (shown in photos).

yellow is where the leather strap would have been

it took 2 of us to get the paracord 'fitted'

nice knot underneath to hold the paracord in place

Don't worry, we trimmed the ends of the black paracord that we used in the end so that the knot doesn't show (sorry, no photos of that).  

The protective glaze was coming off of the machine (the part that covers and protects the decals) so I had to be very careful when I cleaned the machine.  I think it cleaned up nicely.

nice and clean

showing the bed decals and the leaf tension

Another thing that had to be fixed was the pitman.  It had a broken pitman that was tied on with wire.  Hubby made a new pitman for the treadle.

broken pitman wired in place

broken pitman wired in place

I got to learn new things, too.  I have a machine with leaf tension, but I haven't sewn with it.  I learned about the tension on this type by testing out Doug's grandmother's treadle. 

Here is the treadle in it's new home, all cleaned up and ready to sew.  This is a New Home R treadle made in Orange, Mass around 1910-1911.

ready to sew

Remember those placemats I was working on? Well, the first 8 placemats are finished and in their new home.  I finished stitching the binding down yesterday.

fronts

backs

Guadalupe had asked for spring themed placemats and she loves these!  Almost all of the fabrics are from the Pioneer Woman fabric line (with a few from my stash).  I'll finish the other 14 placemats this fall, since I don't need them until Christmas.

Happy National Sewing Machine Day!



12 comments:

  1. Your hubby and you are quite a team. Great job on the machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cleanup! Finally your blog is letting me post comments again. Happy Sewing Machine Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Machine looks great good job. Love placemats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Cheryl!!! Would love to see pitman. Did hubby use Treadleon instructions or just existing pitman as a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always amazes me to see the before and after of these old machines, nice work Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do amazing things restoring these old machines. I have no idea what "leaf tension" is, but if it works, then good for you!
    Do you bind the placemats by hand or do you have an easy way to do it on machine?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That machine looks fantastic! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice fix up on the machine! I love the idea of paracord for the pullchain, and yay for being able to repair a pitman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know there was a sewing machine day. Very cool. I wish you lived nearby. I have an old Treadle, but no clue how to fix it up. Nice job. The placemats are very pretty, bright and cheery.
    <a href="https://travelingsuitcase.blogspot.com/2022/06/quality-mother-daughter-time-danville.html>Traveling Suitcase</a>

    ReplyDelete
  10. The machine turned out awesome you two work so well together. Love the placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really made that machine shine!!! how pretty - and I bet he was so excited!! Nice placemats!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).