Saturday, June 11, 2022

A Cabinet, Stitching and Fun Stuff

I've had a sad plastic cabinet in my sewing room, under my ironing board for several years now.  It was leaning so bad that I couldn't even get in the drawers without lots of trouble.

sad plastic cabinet unloaded

Several months ago, I found some brand new mesh baskets at Salvation Army.  It was only the baskets, no shelving unit to put the baskets in.  I looked online, and the company is no longer in business.  Well, hubby said he'd make me a cabinet to hold the baskets.  Here is the cabinet he made for me.





The cabinet fits well under my ironing board, and it's on wheels, so that I can pull it out, if I need to.  Sew much nicer than that sad plastic cabinet.  I've filled up all but one of the baskets so far.  Now hubby is working on shelves for my sewing room closet.

I have been sewing, but I don't have photos of all the things I've been sewing on (mostly hand work).  I'll be at the Missouri TOGA the end of June, come home for 3 days then head to Texas to help my mother when she has her knee replaced.  I'll probably be gone most of July.  That leaves me 10 days to get everything ready for the TOGA and for Texas (poor hubby & son have to stay in Illinois with the puppies).  I'm rushing around like crazy trying to get everything ready.  I'm doing 3 different demo's at the TOGA, and 2 of them are ready, but I need to get a bit more done on the 3rd demo.  I'm also working on my 'House' block for next year's raffle quilt, which is due at the end of the TOGA.  Of course I chose a block that is almost all hand stitching, so it's taking me a long time.  I'm supposed to make a 'Tree' block too, but I haven't even started on that yet.  

I've been preparing more hand work for when I'm in Texas (waiting during my mother's rehab sessions, etc.).  So far I've got the background blocks finished for the Angels Among Us Calendar quilt.  I got the pattern off of the freebie table at guild last month.


Calendar quilt

January thru April

May thru August

September thru December
 
I've spent the past 2 days tracing all the applique pieces onto fusible, and pulling fabrics for the applique.  So far, I have 4 blocks fused onto the background.  

Remember the portable design walls I made? Well, I also got bags made to hold each of them.  I used some of my sewing themed fabrics that I have lots of.  They will be going with me to the TOGA and to Texas.  I'll have a sewing space set up in my mother's dining room. Westley decided that he needed to be in the photo, too.  He's gotten so big!  He's 7 months old now, and hopefully he is about full size.
portable design walls in carry bags


Last weekend we were invited to a themed graduation party for 2 siblings who both just graduated college.  It was a pirate theme, and everyone was asked to dress like pirates.  Here we are dressed up.
the Parker Pirates


I'm behind again on blog reading, sorry.  I've been so busy in the sewing room that I haven't had time to read blogs, and my computer has been running super slowly for some reason, so it's been hard at times to get things to come up quickly.  I was going to write this up a few days ago, but the computer hasn't been cooperating.  






6 comments:

  1. I love your new cabinet. I just might have some sad plastic cabinets in my sewing studio. I'm not sure why so much of that stuff isn't made anymore. Wishing your mother a successful surgery and an easy recovery. I hope you get in lots of sewing time while you are care giving. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new cabinet looks great. I have several "sad plastic" cabinets for sewing supplies and art supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same 3 drawer plastic cabinet... It is my first and my last of those things. Talk about flimsy. Currently holds my vinyl supplies for the Cricut. It'sl lightweight stuff so it shouldn't overwhelm the structure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cabinet is wonderful he does great work. love the bags for design walls I need to make a bag for mine.Hope your Mother had a easy time of her surgery and rehab. My friend Cheryl Camp came to sew at my house on Weds and stayed until Sat afternoon. on Friday and Sat Brenda P came and joined us. I finished the top with out border of Bonnie Hunter's mystery then joined Cheryl making turtles. fusible machine applique. I will send you a picture. so fun will giggled and laughed the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new sewing storage cabinet - yay for woodworking hubbies! Great pirate gaaarrrhhhb!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).