Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Christmas is in the Mail!

I've been busy.  The Turkey placemats that I made were part of my grandkids early Christmas.  Unfortunately, USPS couldn't get the placemats to Alaska before Thanksgiving (I paid for Priority, but they shipped them ground despite the large difference in cost).  Because of that, and because the lady at the post office said that she couldn't guarantee that ANY package I shipped would arrive before Christmas, I decided to mail my Christmas presents by FedEx.  I mailed 3 packages on Monday, and 2 have already arrived.  The next package to Alaska should arrive on Monday.  

I made pillowcases for everyone this year.  My son is always saying that they need more fun pillowcases for the kids.  I made some for my son and his wife, too.



I also made a Star Wars pillowcase for my older son, but I haven't taken a photo of it.  

We have an Ornament Exchange at my church every year in the Ladies ministry.  It is always well attended.  This is the ornament that I got.  I was the 2nd 'steal', so it was 'retired' and came home with me ; )  Louise made this ornament.  She also made the ornament I got last year.



At the Ornament Exchange, we revealed ourselves to our Secret Sisters that we've had for the past year. This is some of the fun goodies my Secret Sister gave me for Christmas.


My good friend and great quilting buddy, Marilyn died in August.  As I was going thru her sewing room, I came upon a Hanukkah embroidered panel that she had picked up at a quilt show.  I knew I needed to make something with that panel, so I grabbed some of her Hanukkah fabrics, and started figuring out how to make a wall quilt for her husband.  I found a Dreidel pattern online (isn't Google great), and went to download it.  The link didn't work, so I contacted Debby Kratovil, who's blog it was shown on. Debbie graciously sent me the pattern (she now sells it as part of a gift bag pattern).  This is what I made. I delivered it this morning, just in time for Hanukkah.


center embroidered panel

Dreidel pattern from Debbie Kratovil

Thank you Debbie for the Dreidel pattern.  I have Debbie's perpetual quilt block calendar.  I use it every day in my kitchen.  It's great for inspiration.

Our niece is getting married in January.  I had some quilt blocks made that had been put aside.  I pulled them out and finished them.  I didn't have a pattern, just a video of how to make the border on Missouri Star's YouTube channel.  I used charm packs that I bought many years ago from MSQS.  Ann quilted it for me super quick.  I still need to make the binding for this.  I only have photos from before it was quilted.  I'll get better photos after the binding is done.  This quilt is queen size.

up close of the border

Monday was my little quilt guild's Holiday party.  We had a tote bag exchange, using orphan blocks.  Well, I made several Drunkard's Path blocks last month, when I taught curved piecing to this same guild.  I used those orphan blocks to make a tote bag.

This is the tote bag I received.  No orphan blocks in this one.


There were some cute goodies at our places for the party.  We have some talented ladies who were on the planning committee.



napkin

For the first time, I'm joining in on Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt along.  My clue #1 blocks have been made. I used the Triangulation method to make these blocks.  I waited till last night to tear the papers off these Half Square Triangles (while I was watching the Dancing With the Stars final).


I usually don't do Bonnie's Mysteries because of the colors she chooses (way too much pink for me).  She is using Red/White/Blues this time.  I did change out her solid red for a patterned red.  I'm not a fan of solids.  This is how far I've gotten on Clue #2.  I'll be doing more after I finish this blog post.

I do have several other things I'm working on.  At least Christmas presents are finished and mailed.  Now to decorate the house.  So far, I've only hung several mini Christmas quilts.  I don't think we'll have a tree this year.  Just too much trouble, especially since I'm the one that has to unpack and pack up all the ornaments.  Unless the grandkids come for Christmas, we just don't do much anymore.  How much decorating do YOU do for Christmas?


10 comments:

  1. We already decorated about as much as we are likely to... one string of tiny multi colored lights on the patio. It's quite cheery. Still moving in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, my! Have you been busy! Thanks for all the great pictures! Though I enjoy Christmas decorations, I wouldn't bother for just myself. I'm married to Clark Griswold, however. We will be dragging out a shipload of decorations from the attic this weekend, only to put it all away in about 3 weeks. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't reply privately, since you are no-reply :( Enjoy all of those Christmas decorations! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I think I'm tired just reading what you've accomplished. So glad the packages are arriving on time and I love the pillowcases. We put up a 4' tree and a few decorations since we'll just be hosting cookie making this year. Decorating is a lot of work. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet your kids and grands love your pillowcases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some awesome pictures. So sad about USPS. It is getting so expensive to mail things now a days. You just don't know when they will arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your parcels will arrive in time for Christmas. You've been lucky with the ornament exchange as it's adorable. And what a great idea to have a tote bag exchange and I love both the bags, the one you made and the one you got. I wish you a wonderful Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been crazy busy!! Love all those pillowcases - and fingers crossed all the packages get there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pillowcase as Christmas gifts!! Have fun with the mystery quilt project. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. Have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous and healthy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do about the same amount that you do!!! And for the very same reason. Life on the farm has gotten infinitely busier! Hardly have time to do more than move on to the next task. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).