Monday, June 10, 2019

Trail to Treadleonia TOBE blocks

My Treadle On group has several different block exchanges each year.  I've already participated in the Spring Basic block exchange earlier this Spring. I even have my blocks stitched for the Fall Basic exchange, which isn't due till October.

The current exchange is one that hasn't been done for many years, the Trail to Treadleonia blocks.  I wasn't sure I'd have time to get these made, since my May was so busy, and I wouldn't have any stitching time the last 2 weeks of May. 

I started cutting out my scraps (yes, this is a scrappy block) last week, and have been stitching away since.  I'm making 4 sets of 8 blocks, so, it takes longer than just making one set of 8 blocks. 

The directions for this block have us making oversized blocks, then trimming them down.  The first part of the block looks like this.
134 units
I used my BlocLoc ruler to trim these down.  The BlocLoc ruler makes it really easy to trim to the perfect size (6.5"). 
just some of the strings I cut off the blocks above

Of course, since it is a Treadle On block exchange (TOBE), we have to use either a treadle or a hand crank sewing machine (people powered).  I used a hand crank.
1927 Singer 15 hand crank

Here are my finished blocks. I do still need to sign each block, but I can get that done easily.
33 finished Trail to Treadleonia blocks

It was fun pulling my blue scraps for these blocks.  I already have a bunch of blues separated for Kevin's Mystery quilts (which I need to finish). 

In between stitching on the different parts of these blocks, I worked on my RSC19 blocks for May and June.  I hope to have those blocks finished by the end of the week. 


12 comments:

  1. That is some feat!!! I almost picked up a handcrank Janome in South Africa, but passed on it... I am kicking myself now though. Not that I really need it! As for sewing not much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always in awe of your blocks on the crank machine. You have great patience and control. To say nothing of being co-ordinated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks in beautiful blues! Good crankin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My shoulder hurts thinking of all the cranking you are doing. Do you ever have problems because of it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't imagine doing all that "by hand"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blocks not sure I could do it one handed while cranking with the other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are cranking out another beautiful quilt, my friend. Love the blues. What is the name of that design?
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an interesting block, and I like all those pretty blues. I am curious to see what the final quilt top looks like sewn together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty colors make up a pretty block!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are sweet blocks. Love the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even with a machine, that amount of construction blows me away. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).