Wednesday, January 6, 2021

2021 Word of the Year

I'm using a word I used back in 2013. Progress.  You can read about my reasons for choosing that word at that time here.


prog·ress
noun
/ˈpräɡres/
  1. forward or onward movement toward a destination.
    "the darkness did not stop my progress"
    Similar:
    forward movement
    onward movement
    progression
    advance
    advancement
    headway
    passage
    going
verb
/prəˈɡres/
  1. move forward or onward in space or time.
    "as the century progressed, the quality of telescopes improved"
    Similar:
    go
    make one's way
    move
    move forward
    go forward
    proceed


This time, I'm choosing Progress for different reasons.  Hubby was without a job for 9.5 months in 2018-2019. He found a great job in July 2019 (thank you God). I started working in January 2019. I hadn't worked outside the home in many years. 

Many things had been put on hold after October 2018 (when hubby's job was lost). Then 2020 hit and the basket was upended again in different ways.

Now I need Progress to be made in different areas.  In quilting: I have many UFO's that need to be completed.  I have projects that have due dates. I need things to get done, or at least moved forward a good deal.

Also, with my weight and health.  I've added too many pounds,  especially in the last 5+ years.  I struggle to climb stairs (I live in a 2 story house). The weight has added to other problems (feet, legs, knees). This last year,  due to Covid restrictions,  I haven't even been able to walk with any regularity.  I'm not very steady on my feet,  so walking outside really isn't an option (trip hazard). The gym that my client (I'm a home health care worker) and I were walking at, has closed several times this past year (Covid restrictions). Progress needs to be made in these areas. 

I'm also hopeful for Progress in every area that Covid has harmed, such as being with friends and family (in person,  not on Zoom, etc.). Seeing people behind the masks. Progress towards a return to normalcy. 

Have you chosen a word for 2021? What is it?


Here is just part of my Quilt list for 2021:

Granddaughters Birthday quilt, due March 1st

2 Harry Potter Castle quilts, due by mid-April 

Baby quilt, due by mid-April 

2 Family Reunion quilts, due in September 

5 block exchanges in 2021

Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks each month 

Several UFO's

Etc. 


So far, I haven't stitched any in 2021, other than a few embroidery stitches.  Other things have gotten in the way. I'm hoping to have stitchy things to show soon.  As you can see from my partial list above, Progress needs to be made soon. 


14 comments:

  1. I used to choose words of the year, but they never really motivated me, so I stopped. I am hoping to make a little progress this year too, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life throws us curve balls, so don't beat yourself up. I was starting chair yoga when the facility was closed - Covid. BUT I still do them at home and I am lucky that I have a center hall that opens into several rooms that I can walk in circles or figure 8 around the inside of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to choose a word for the year, but not anymore. Just have lost so much interest in quilting, and that was where my word usually was related to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life is on hold so no word for me unless it is patience. I have followed Noom since July and am slowly but steadily losing weight. Of course I am not exercising at all. Wishing you great progress in all areas! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I have to look at make incremental progress and keep going. This last year has been real tough to keep moving, but I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great word, Cheryl! I always enjoy seeing what words people chose and why. Progress is important! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice word for the 'whole' you and not just in one area. Also any forward movement is progress. One of the reasons we changed how we eat is because of the gradual weight gains and the band hips, knees and feet!!!! I am needing to rethink... the how of eating... to restart the loss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your honesty is a breath of fresh air. I too struggle with my weight as working out has changed and it's harder to get out. Our solution is to buy a treadmill. That way we don't have to worry about going to a gym. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your choice of words. Here is to a progress filled year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on making progress! Only look back in so far as it spurs you forward but don't be too hard on yourself. The past is the past. The beauty is we have the ability to change :o). I have definitely put on weight too and I feel it's starting to affect my body. We did just buy a treadmill so now that the holidays are over and everyone will be back to school etc, I'm out of excuses! I did walk a quick mile this morn before I had to stop (had an appointment) but it's progress, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best of luck with your Progress goals! Here's hoping 2021 has lots of milestones to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are NOT alone Cheryl! I feel what you're going through; I've been there myself.
    I love that you chose the word progress because that's all you need but please, work on it in SMALL steps. Three years ago I began losing 40+ pounds by making a few dietary changes and doing a little walking on a treadmill- only 15 minutes at a time every other day and not super fast. Don't fret if you don't start losing quickly - my doctor told me it shouldn't happen that way and that every ounce lost is progress. Remember that silly old kid's elephant joke? How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

    This is my first visit to your blog. I just found it and love it. I went back and saw your story about "Veeeektorrr" your blue sewing machine. I cracked up because Young Frankenstein is one of my favorite old movies. You and I are something of kindred souls when it comes to machines - I have thirteen. My Hubby continually asks, "Why the (bleep) do you need SO MANY machines?" I always come back with, "For the same reason you have 516 golf clubs! You love golf, I LOVE sewing and sewing machines". I have Mom's 1949 White Rotary 77 that I learned on, a EuroPro serger, a 1980's Babylock, 2 modern Brother machines and several vintage Kenmores. In 1969 Mom and Dad gave me my first zig-zag Kenmore and I loved it. I remain very partial to vintage "Kennies" and I collect my favorite models. They work well and are practically indestructible. I can fix up and maintain them myself, clean and attach fresh wires to motors (but I can't do rewinding) and some other bits as well. I enjoy it and it keeps me out of trouble! (What is housekeeping anyway?)
    Remember, you CAN do it! And if a treadmill is too much at first, just get up perhaps every hour or so and simply walk around your kitchen table or island - just ONCE. Small steps (literally) as you begin will get the job done.
    I started at 67 and I'm now 70. My knees are better, my breathing is better, I have more energy and my doctor and cardiologist are happy with me again. Stay strong Cheryl, I'll be with you in spirit and prayers, just as I'm sure your other commenters and followers are. Keep us posted so we can encourage you. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suzanne, I so wish you weren't a no-reply commentor. I'd love to reply to this comment. PLEASE send me your email address.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).