Wednesday, January 27, 2021

40 Paper Pieced Blocks Done

I'm working on making 4 different Harry Potter quilts.  You've seen the blocks for the full Harry Potter: Project of Doom bookcase quilts that I've been working on.  I just finished paper piecing the last 4 blocks for the bookcase portion of those quilts.  Woohoo!  I do still have LOTS of embroidery left to do on those quilt blocks (lots of book titles).  

Week #27  Teacup

both blocks

Week # 28  Trevor the Toad

both blocks

Week #29  Cauldron

both blocks

Week #30  Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans

both blocks

I've been asked why I'm making 2 quilts.  Well, I have 2 son's.  One will get one of these quilts, but I want one quilt for myself.  The 2nd son will have to wait to inherit the other quilt ; )

While making these 8 blocks, I started making blocks for our next grandbaby's quilt.  Yes, I'm making 2 quilts again, since the baby will get one, and I'll have a 'spare' one to show in my quilt guild's quilt show (whenever we actually get to have quilt shows again).  I've done this for the first two grandkids, so I need to keep it up for the next one.  Since I was already making 2 of each of the last blocks, I decided to just make them all at the same time.  The only difference is the background fabric.









The new baby will be getting a different layout.  I'm going to use a Castle layout, and I'll only need 20 blocks to make a quilt.  

While I was making those 16 blocks, I was also making more blocks for my large quilt guild's next Opportunity quilt.  I signed up for 2 sets of blocks (2 Log Cabin blocks and 4 Flying Geese per set).  

Log Cabin blocks

Flying Geese blocks

To top it off, I was also making my January (Pink) Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.  I made 12 blocks (6 blocks going one way and 6 blocks going the other way).

Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks

I can make all of these blocks at the same time due to simple organization.  Each 'pattern' has it's own container.  I prep all the blocks, one container at at time, then I sew all the blocks, again, one container at at time.  I sew Leader & Enders between each container so that the parts don't get mixed up by accident.  

my stack of containers

fabric in one container

detailed list of fabrics, colors, etc for one container


While making all of these 40 blocks, I also stitched lots of Leaders & Enders.  First, I stitched 116 HST's for another baby quilt.  I still have to iron these open and pull out the papers.

116 HST's

When I finished those Leaders & Enders, I started on another set for my granddaughter's birthday quilt.  She loves Emma and the Wiggles.  I still have more of these to stitch.
Wiggles HST's

Now to start prepping for the next sets of Harry Potter Castle and RSC blocks.  At least the Harry Potter Castle blocks won't have any embroidered titles on the books. 


21 comments:

  1. I was thinking what a good feeling to have the paper piecing done for the bookcase portion of HP quilts. As I kept reading, what a GREAT feeling to have so much accomplished!!! I organize my quilts in a similar way that you have organized your blocks. It really helps to keep things straight. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you said you weren't getting much sewing in. Excellenct organization and yes, it is key to all those tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are really on a roll! Great job! You've accomplished a LOT! I have a similar organizational style, but I have baskets...all the stuff for a project goes into a basket, but I don't have such beautiful detailed lists! LOL But everything for a project in one spot sure does help and love how your leaders/enders keep growing. I just finished two little baskets of flying geese units made up of 1" finished triangle square cut offs I got from a friend who was getting rid of them! I should take a picture and blog about that LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you go!!! So much done and prepped to be done! So organized... You should do a mini class on the process for a guild!! Me, I can't even get wound up to start something let alone thing about how to finish one (ufo)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been super productive! Your HP blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've been getting so much done! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you get so much done. You are very organized too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have really accomplished a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing. Do you ever sleep? I also do leaders and enders which helps, but never the same quilt times too. You are to be admired with all your organization and persistence. Pretty blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dar, you are a no-reply blogger:( Yes I sleep. I've not been spending much time with hubby and son lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tell me more about those PINK blocks for the RSC. LOVE them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your organization is commendable! It is amazing how having a system allows you to get so much done without loosing all the bits and pieces. Such great blocks too. Looking forward to seeing your progress next month with yellow

    ReplyDelete
  13. first - your organization is awesome!! But I really like the reasoning behind the 2 harry potter quilts - one for a son and one for the other to inherit!! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome set of blocks! I especially like your swirly geese!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just WOW. So many wonderful blocks, but those geese are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of lovely sewing happening at your place. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so impressed with your organization! I love the RSC blocks and have not seen that pattern. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So productive and SOOOO organized!! Beautiful projects, love the RSC pink blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the organizational ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous job of organization! Your blocks are all very pretty too but I may take a page out of your organizing tips book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your rainbow scrap challenge blocks. Where can I find the pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).