Sunday, February 5, 2023

Some Finishes and Some Fun Gifts!

I've finished two quilts this week.  One of the quilts, I made the top back in the summer.  It's the 2nd quilt like this.  The first was for one baby, and this one will go to my new granddaughter.  I quilted this differently than the first quilt.  I used my walking foot for the quilting. 

Little Lamb baby quilt

I used a backing fabric that is similar to a Shannon Cuddle Luxe.  I followed the tips & tricks from Shannon Fabrics for sewing with Cuddle Luxe fabrics.  The tips are for sewing the fabrics together, not for quilting, but it worked nicely. Here is the backing that I used.  I think it looks like sheep fur. (the fur is all white, the brown is the light from my sewing machine).

backing on Little Lambs baby quilt

I also finished one of my Family Reunion quilts.  I just needed to to sew the binding onto the quilt. The pattern is String Crossroads.  I changed up her pattern to substitute 4 patch blocks for the string blocks.  I like how it turned out.  I still need to sew the binding down on the 2nd one (I made 2 quilts, one for me and one to auction off to raise funds to cover Reunion costs).

1930's reproduction fabrics

Friday was my birthday.  It was a fun day!  I had friends take me out to Red Lobster for lunch, then to a quilt store for some fabric fun.  Dinner was at Olive Garden with my husband and oldest son and a close friend.  I was surprised with lots of fun gifts.  Here are a few.

Marilyn made me a Iron Caddy for when I take my iron to sew-in's, etc.  I'm showing it open, too, because the fabric she used is sew cute!  I had to read all of it.

Iron Caddy

fun fabric

insulated fabric inside

I also got 2 Bluebonnet towels (Texas State Flower) from Kathy.  

Bluebonnet towels

Kay gave me a thread caddy, thread and a cute sewing themed door knob sign.

thread caddy, thread and door knob sign

My youngest son sent me flowers for the first time.  


I also got to show off my new Accuquilt Studio 2 after lunch.  I also got more Birthday cash to go towards it and the dies I've bought.  

Now to stitch the binding down on the Autumn Chains king size quilt (and make a hanging sleeve).  This has to be done before the quilt show March 11 & 12, 2023.  I'll be starting that as soon as this posts. 

8 comments:

  1. What a great birthday to remember! Love the String Crossroads quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you had such a good birthday. Love the baby quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfectly wonderful birthday! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated Happy Birthday to you!
    I love your "String Crossroads" quilt. I like your variation on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did have a great birthday day, Happy Birthday! Both of your quilts are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the iron caddy! Can you flip the caddy over and use as an ironing pad for small blocks next to your machine? (w/o steam, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is some cute fabric on the iron caddy!!! I wish I was still coming to the show.... but alas, decided to stay home and not tempt fate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely birthday celebration! I love the baby quilt...so cheery.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).